This is our 3rd. season for our Basic Computer and Internet Training Seminars. It is a FREE program open to the public.
The only catch is that you can bring one canned goods product for a donation to the Sarnia Food Bank.
Here is our proposed lineup and it is numbers by the weeks of the presenation order.
I am looking for suggestions and comments so PLEASE email me: email@example.com (Greg West)
Getting Started with Your Computer…and then some!
1: Buying a Computer.
– what to look out for
– what kinds are good ones
– what stores are better and safer
– is that low price really a good deal
– what do you need inside your computer
– how much should I spend
2: Setting Up Your Computer.
– add password
– additional users
– set time & date
– set screen size
– turn off computer
3: Getting around the Windows Desktop.
– quick launch bar
– recycle bin
– desktop shortcuts
– change desktop picture
– start button/menu
– arrange desktop icons (R-click)
– recycle bin
– ﬁnd a ﬁle with Win Explorer
– start a program
– switch between programs
– resize a window close a program
– how to remove USB devices
4: Customizing Windows.
– change desktop background
– choose a desktop theme
– set up a screen saver
– change mouse behavior
– uninstall an application
5: Working with Files and Folders.
– understand how Windows organizes data
– ﬁnd and open ﬁles
– choose a ﬁle or folder view
– create new folder
– rename folder
– search for a ﬁle
– add ﬁle to favourite list (open windows by Right click START and choosing EXPLORE
– back up – USB, CD, DVD
6: Working with Printers, Scanners, and Fax Machines.
– invite guest from Data Tek or Staples to demonstrate
7: Getting FREE Help
– using search engines such as google & bing
8: Creating Documents with Works Word Processor.
doc = documents
– open new documents – enter & edit text
– save a doc
– open existing doc
– cut copy paste text
– format text
– add photo or graphic
– resize objects
– spell check
– print a doc
– types of text ﬁle such as rich text etc.
9: Work with Numbers and Finances.
– spreadsheet – guest speaker
– online banking – guest speaker from a bank
– online investing – as above
– pay bills online – my wife
10: Get the Most from Movies and Digital Photos.
– Windows Media Player
– Windows Photo Gallery
– Googleʼs Picasa
– Windows Movie Maker
– play movies with Windows Media Player
– upload photos from digital camera
– view digital image in Windows Photo Gallery
– add tags to photos
– play a slide show with Windows Photo Gallery
– ﬁx photos
– burn photos to CD
11: Listening to & Downloading (recording) Music and more…
– Windows Media Player
– create Windows Media Player Playlist
– burn CD music
– buying music online
– playing online Radio Stations & Podcasts & TV
12: Playing Games in Windows Vista.
I am not a game player. I am sure we can get a few people to help demonstrate some of the computer games they like to play. We can show how to find FREE games, how to play games on the Internet against other people around the world in live sessions. And of course we can set a general discussion and live demonstration.
Exploring the Internet
13: Understanding Internet Basics.
– explain the Internet
– different types of connections & speeds
– navigate the web: enter click on blue E show back and forth
– tabbed browsing etc.
– setup a home page with tabs
– secure surﬁng and online safety
14: Browsing the Web with Internet Explorer & FireFox
– add website to favourites
– change website name in favourites
– organize favourites
– customize Internet Explorer Toolbar
– download ﬁles and save to hard drive doc
– printing web pages
– playing podcasts
– ﬁnding podcasts
– privacy settings
– enable content advisor
15: Keeping in Touch with E-Mail.
– set up an account
– set up Windows Mail
– Windows Mail and inbox
– manage email accounts
– create and send email
– send an attachment
– read a message
– reply to and forward email
– create and add signature
– format email messages
– add contacts
– customize Windows Mail
– create message folders
– organize messages in folders
– create mail rules
16: Connecting with People Online.
– Skype phone calling free phone calling between computers anywhere on
– instant messaging what is it and how does it work
– use a webcam (it is really easy honestly)
– Magic Jack phone via computer
– Blogs and their many uses
– explore virtual worlds – secondlife.com madwolfsw.com
– ﬁnd people with common interests
– playing games on the Internet live with other people for free
Taking Care of Your Computer.
17: Protecting Windows Computers.
– cleaning inside and out and save yourself lots of money
– FREE virus protection that really works
– Windows Defender included in Vista
– update patches Microsoft automatically
– run Windows Update
– enable Windows ﬁrewall
– run Windows Defender scan
– full scan, quick scan and custom scans
18: Maintaining Windows.
– free up disk space
– delete cookies using IE
– set reminder for maintenance tasks
back up important ﬁles
PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE:
IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS, IDEAS, WANTS, OR NEEDS WITH YOUR COMPUTERING TASKS PLEASE LET ME KNOW VIA EMAIL TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
WE WILL BEGIN THESE FREE SEMINARS AT CENTRAL UNITED CHURCH THIS COMING FALL. LAST TWO YEARS WE RAN THESE SEMINARS EACH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. NOT SURE OF THE TIME AND DATE THIS SEASON – IT WILL BE POSTED IN EMAILS AND ON THE CHURCH WEBSITE www.centralunitedsarnia.ca
OF COURSE ANYONE WHO WOULD LIKE TO HELP ME OUT WITH THE MEETINGS AND PLANNING IDEAS FOR OUR SEMINARS CAN CONTACT ME VIA EMAIL. I NEVER TURN DOWN HELP 🙂
Note: Outline for this came from Computers For Seniors For Dummies as a guideline reference.